Countless articles have been written about Strategic Management, but the vast majority focus solely on grand-scale corporate strategy. While the strategic management process at the corporate level typically involves a major strategic planning event each year for organizational leaders, our focus is different: at CMOE, we focus on “individual” strategic management. We contend that every member of an organization should have a strategic vision for his or her work, and they should understand how that individual contribution strengthens the organization as a whole.
A person’s strategic vision has two components. The first component should address how a person can support the future strategic direction of the organization (the grand, overarching strategy). In order to maintain an organization’s momentum and strength, everyone needs to be aligned and pulling in the same direction. The second component hinges on the idea that everyone should have a personal strategic agenda for his or her own work. In other words, individuals must see themselves as business units, each with a population of one. This individual strategy is unique for each contributor and explores how he or she can add value and offer distinctive service to the organization now and in the future.
CMOE workshops build success starting with the individual
The Individual Strategic Management Workshop teaches individuals how to think and operate in a strategic way. In this workshop, participants are exposed to a number of different concepts and develop a number of different skills, including the following:
- Clarifying what strategic management means
- Explaining why individuals need to develop strategic thinking skills
- Teaching the 7 skills of personal strategic management
- Mapping out a personal strategic initiative that will add value to and drive results for the organization
- Generating interest in and commitment to living and working more strategically
The Individual Strategic Management Workshop is highly interactive. Participants are exposed to our hardbound book; Ahead of the Curve by Dr. Steven J. Stowell and Stephanie S. Mead. Workshop participants will measure their strategic-thinking skills with the Applied Strategic Thinking Assessment and receive feedback on both their strengths and areas in need of additional development.
People who attend this workshop will gain skills in the following areas:
- Face uncertainties with more confidence
- Bring some structure to and take better control of their future
- Manage change and shifts in their work environment
- Adapt to coming change before he or she is forced to
- Manage or reduce unwanted surprises in their personal and professional lives
- Become more competitive and add value to the organization
- Balance daily tactical pressures and demands with fully-oriented strategic initiatives
CMOE has been helping Pfizer, ChevronTexaco, HP, Boeing, and many other multinational organizations develop their leaders, let us help your leaders too.