As organizations face increasingly unique demands, organizations are trending towards physically dispersed and diverse teams. Virtual teams offer organizations a number of benefits, but they also create some challenges for leaders. The approach to leading virtual teams is different from that of leading a traditional, on-site team. As such, the roles and behaviors of leaders must be adjusted to better meet the unique needs and demands of the virtual team.
In response to these challenges, CMOE has created the Virtual Leadership workshop, an interactive and skill-focused learning experience in which participants explore the timely and relevant issues that virtual leaders face: geographic distance, cultural differences—even boundaries that may exist within the organization itself.
The Virtual Leadership workshop offers participants powerful strategies, methods, and tools to use as they diagnose and address these and other issues, allowing leaders to better impact the organization’s bottom line through the contributions of their virtual-team members.
Not only do virtual-team leaders need to have strong, foundational leadership qualities, they must also be able to excel in the following areas:
- Adapt their communication style for various communication mediums
- Coach and give supportive and corrective feedback in a virtual setting
- Build relationships with virtual team members
- Create a team community and culture where barriers impacting the virtual team are minimized and alignment is created
Virtual leaders have a special responsibility to amplify traditional management skills and qualities that great leaders possess in order to help their virtual team members flourish and maximize the potential of the entire team.
Objectives and Outcomes
As a result of this learning experience, participants will
- Create positive working relationships and establish a greater sense of inclusion among virtual team members.
- Leverage their leadership strengths and focus on developing their opportunities for improvement in a way that supports the virtual team.
- Maximize the cultural, experiential, and locational diversity of team members.
- Make the necessary adjustments to their leadership style and team processes that will enable new levels of virtual-team performance.
- Break down the barriers that a virtual work setting typically creates, and facilitate collaboration in a virtual environment.
- Gain a renewed passion for and commitment to the timeless principles of leadership.
The Virtual Leadership workshop focuses on the most common challenges that virtual leaders face today. This workshop can also be customized using an “a la carte” approach to the topics that are covered to better address the unique challenges that leaders within your organization face with their virtual teams. During the workshop, participants receive a brief introduction to the overarching characteristics of effective leadership but spend the majority of their time in the workshop developing, practicing, and planning how to apply the concepts, tools, and ideas presented. Depending on your preferred approach, we can either use CMOE’s Leadership Model or CMOE can integrate your organization’s internal leadership model or competencies into the workshop; the latter approach ensures that the workshop is seamlessly aligned with the skillsets and values that your leaders are already familiar with and working towards.
by 40 Years of Research
Leadership & Development Partner
to your Organization’s Needs
Need More Information?
Please fill out the following form and we will be in contact with you with more information.